Thursday, July 9, 2009

Double Agent ;-)

--
Warning! Personal blether ahead, versus the usual tech-only stuff.

Background: I started using IBM PCs in 1988 and have kept up with the technology every since. I started using Apple Macs in 1991, ditched my PC and now have four Macs resident in my house. I run Windows on my MacBook using Parallels Desktop.

My Clock Is Melting: The last few months for me have been fascinating locally regarding computer user groups. I spent over a decade in Rochester, NY, USA in their local Mac user group called Apple C.I.D.E.R. They're one of the oldest Apple UGs in the country. They're brilliant. What I learned there was astounding, from mickey level on up to professional techy geek level. Meanwhile, their PC UG was a bit wanting. Then circa 2001 I move one city over to Syracuse, NY, USA. Oddly, their CNYPCUG is brilliant and their Mac UG is a bit wanting. I think the MUG is on the ascension again, but I basically lost interest.

Meanwhile, I like CNYPCUG and they like me, we got together and had a baby! Well, actually they asked me to run for election to their Board of Directors and I said yes. That was March. I got elected in April. I gave the meeting presentation for May, which was based on my Internet shopping article. I gave the meeting presentation for June, which was about Internet security. In July I took over the spot of shareware presenter at each month's meeting.


I find this situation very surreal. How do I explain this in my resumé?! It's also a fascinating exercise in restraint, me being a vehement and long term soldier in the Computer Warz, fighting for sane computing. IOW I don't like Microsoft, to put it mildly. I am also a black belt at eviscerating anti-Apple trolls. Therefore, at CNYPCUG I have to mellow and focus on the huge range of techno topics both Mac and PC users share. And I like it! I'm all overflowing with a rush of gushing praise for my friends at CNYPCUG. Thank you for not lynching me, yet.


Yes, here is the occasional Apple bashing within the group. But what makes things even more surreal is when members of CNYPCUG go on a jag against Microsoft!! Whut teh? There I am, armed to the teeth with ammo, but instead I just relax and take it all in. It's a wonderful mode I've discovered where I let myself help folks where I can help them, and let the rest be what it's going to be, with or without me. Isn't there a song about that? "Let It Be, Let It Be! Le...."

This situation reminds me a lot of my friends at a local church whom I very much enjoy and value. It's great to be with nice people, but I cringe when they start quoting the latest vehement HATE MEDIA political propaganda. Sorry, no Christianity to be heard. Lies and ignorance a plenty. But what can I do? Troll trampling doesn't work in such situations. No one is amused, certainly not me. I simply state my opinion when requested and "Let It Be, Let...."

So does this mean I've been tamed? Will I pace forever inside a cage? Will I STFU out in the wide world? I'm a positive anarchist! Of course not. I'm a catalyst, a change agent, a PITA to the mediocre status quo, resplendent in the virtue of honesty, ever questioning 'THE TRUTH' from every source, especially me. It is the bit of diversity I contribute to the world of human thought. I value obnoxiousness in the spirit of fun and enlightenment. Being the fool is everyone's fate. I expect it and use it for positive change. It could happen! ;-D
--

No comments: